1 can of whole chickpeas (about 250g)
2 tablespoons plain (unsweetened) yoghurt
3 tablespoon tahini (available from most Middle-Eastern shops)
2 cloves garlic
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
2 loaves pita bread
1. Wash the canned chickpeas under running water several times and then add into the food processor. Please note: if you’re using dried chickpeas instead of canned beans, you’ll need to soak the chickpeas in water overnight and then boil them until soft.
2. Add the juice of one lemon and a cup of water to the mix. Start the food processor and make sure you blend until the mix is soft in texture. Add a little hot water and continue to mix if the mix is still not soft.
3. Cut the pita loaves into small squares using a kitchen knife. Oil a pan and heat, then fry the pita bread pieces until they become crunchy and golden. For a healthier choice, add the bread cuts into a tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven.
4. Mix the yoghurt with the tahini, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and remaining lemon (juiced) and stir well. Taste and add salt, pepper or lemon as desired.
5. Spread the pita bread cuts in the serving platter/dish. Top the bread with the hummus mix and then add the yoghurt mix on top. Drizzle the olive oil on top.
6. On the top of the mix sprinkle ground cumin, paprika, and parsley (finely chopped). Also, add some chickpeas or roasted nuts for an extra special look!
Usually served with pickled olives, cucumber and peppers (available from Middle Eastern/Turkish shops). The dish is usually eaten with a spoon while adding plenty of olive oil to soften the mix.
Mmm delicious! We hope you enjoy these delicious appetisers.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, keep an eye out for more here on the blog. We’ll be featuring a monthly meat-free recipe as part of our campaign to stem the tide of climate change.
In the meantime, you can help fight the effects of climate change by writing to your MP to call on the UK government to keep climate change on the agenda. Simply click here to fill in our simple, easy-to-use form and take action today!