As part of our UK programmes framework, we’re striving to ensure that women are empowered to be able to lead safe, independent and fulfilling lives.
Future Skills: Vocational Training, Mentoring and Support for Disadvantaged Women
Unemployed women living in poverty face a myriad of challenges finding secure and appropriately paid employment. Following Oxfam’s successful pilot of the Future Skills project in Manchester, Islamic Relief is now working in partnership with Oxfam to expand the initiative across the UK. The second phase of this project is designed to up-skill refugee and migrant women based in London who are in real need of work to support themselves and their families.
The Future Skills project includes:
- A tailored volunteer placement in an Oxfam shop for a minimum of eight hours a week for six months
- In-shop training on retail management, customer service, inventory control and other transferable skills
- Mentoring by qualified independent mentors and additional peer-to-peer networking and support
- Personal development and employability workshops
- Assistance to overcome barriers to engagement including child care provision
Through the support of the programme, participating women have gained solid work experience, boosted their self-confidence and received crucial training and advice to help them find appropriate work following the six-month placement.