What is Sadaqah Jariyah?
Sadaqah Jariyah is one of the most beautiful concepts in Islam. Above all, it is the belief that deeds donated as a form of Sadaqah Jariyah possess the ability to earn reward for the donor after they have passed from this life. There is the hope of earning reward and pleasure from Allah (SWT) in the next.
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
“When a man dies, his deeds come to an end except for three things: Sadaqah Jariyah (ceaseless charity); a knowledge which is beneficial, or a virtuous descendant who prays for him (for the deceased).” (Muslim)
There are plenty of ways to donate Sadaqah Jariayh. For example, Sadaqah can be a form of anything that brings goodness. It is not just a monetary donation. Therefore, the possibilities are endless.
If you’re looking to create some Sadaqah Jariyah for yourself or a loved one – look no further! We’ve taken the liberty of posting our favourite Sadaqah Jariyah ideas here.
12 Amazing Sadaqah Jariyah Ideas
- Creating a land for farming. This can be used to harvest food items and more for generations to come.
- Building a water well. This can serve communities and animals for generations.
- Constructing sustainable homes, shelters, or living equipment that will last for generations.
- Building a mosque or place of worship. This can be used for generations.
- Purchasing livestock for people. This will make a means of income or produce food for others.
- Planting fruit trees. The trees can serve both people and the wildlife for lifetimes.
- Planting wildflowers to encourage wildlife such as bees. Bees can go on to pollinate hundreds of thousands of plants and trees that grow food.
- Teaching someone a valuable skill.
- Educating someone about Islam or some good knowledge.
- Donating religious books to others or a mosque.
- Recycling old and damaged goods into new ones that will continue to last.
- Building anything that serves humanity for good beyond your passing for the sake of Allah (SWT).