Food is not only a basic necessity for survival but also a crucial element in improving the lives of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable. Access to regular nutritious food improves health, development and educational outcomes for children in need and their families, offering them a healthier and brighter future.
Recognising the crucial importance of a nutritious diet, we work to provide sustainable long-term food solutions for communities in need, as well as offering short-term lifesaving interventions in response to global emergencies.
Here’s how we empower local communities to build a brighter future.
Sustainable food solutions
We work to empower communities over the long-term to lift families out of food poverty by:
- Distributing seeds and training locals to improve agricultural production
- Introducing small-scale fish farming to enable families to improve their diet and increase their income
- Establishing community-run food banks which support families to donate/receive food according to their needs and abilities
- Introducing school gardens to ensure a secure and nutritional source of food for children in local communities
- Developing irrigation schemes to increase agricultural productivity and enabling communities to grow more food
Emergency relief and seasonal interventions
When war, conflict and natural disaster-hits, we’re straight on the ground to support communities in need. We ensure that families have adequate food by:
- Setting-up and supporting emergency feeding centres to support severely malnourished children and crucially save lives
- Providing emergency food packs and food vouchers to help individuals and families in crisis worldwide
- Distributing fresh meat during Ramadan and Qurbani to offer a vital protein source for malnourished families
By supporting our Islamic Relief, you’re helping feed families in times of emergency and to fight food poverty, to enable communities to stay healthy and hunger-free over both the short and long-term.